From the day we are born, we are pure, free and present. Why? Because we haven’t experienced life. We haven’t gone through anything to lead us to think a certain way, be a certain way, feel fear, feel regret, feel guilt or unhappiness. We don’t attach meaning to anything because we don’t even know what the word meaning is.
Then as a toddler, we touch a hot stove, it hurts and we know not to touch it again. And there it is. Our first life experience we attach meaning too. Don’t touch a hot stove because it will burn. So every time we see a hot stove, it brings back memories of past hurt and we stay clear of it.
And from that moment onwards, life starts to happen, Things happen to us, good and bad, and we shape our beliefs, thoughts and reality around our experiences.
This is the natural way humans evolve. Don’t get me wrong, it is a beautiful thing the way we grow and evolve! But along the way, we can create some pretty crappy beliefs, habits and ways of doing things, that only stunt our growth in every way possible.
So in saying that, here are 6 bullsh*t beliefs I wish I let go of sooner…
1. I need to be, act, live, look a certain way before I can be accepted by others – This was probably one of the most detrimental beliefs I held on to for so long. It led me down a path of depression, anxiety, hate for myself and towards others. I completely sabotaged myself in every way. I exercised out of fear of gaining weight instead of for the love of how it made me feel and the good it was doing to my body. I had the worst relationship with food, and again, restricted and deprived myself so much out of fear of putting on weight. And I would constantly try to be someone else, who in my eyes, was ‘accepted’ so I had to be like them right if I wanted to be accepted? Wrong! If only I knew sooner, that all I had to do, to be accepted and loved, was to just be myself, and I would become a magnet for the people and things I wanted in my life.
2. I’m not negative, I’m just a realist – (Let me translate: This seems too hard and I don’t have the belief and confidence in myself to shape my reality) Let me get one thing straight here, your ‘reality’ IS what ever the heck you believe it to be! And by labelling yourself as a ‘realist’ you are just capping your potential and saying to yourself, this is as good as it’s going to get. I am not saying to not be sensible and smart with your life choices. But to me, the word ‘realist’ is just a cop out. I strongly encourage you to eliminate the word ‘realist’ from your vocabulary and just see how it feels. All of a sudden you feel a sense of freedom.
3. That dream may be a little too big! – Firstly, NO dream is too big. Do you think Richard Branson, Steve Jobs, or even Oprah had that belief? Exactly my point.. And secondly, this crappy belief can come from two ways. Either you have this belief towards yourself, or you let others make you believe your dreams are too big. Have you ever had a massive dream or vision, you feel excited and confident about? You even start putting the steps in to place to make it happen. Then you tell someone about it, and they respond by saying ‘Your dreaming a little too big aren’t you?’ Then bam, you are knocked off your path, you lose confidence and you stop pursuing your dream. Let me tell you right now, there is no such thing as a dream being too big! Do big dreams require big steps? Yes they do! But if you are prepared to do what it takes, and you consistently work towards it day in and day out, with an undying belief you will get there, guess what girl, you will. I promise you. Just because another person, or even yourself, hasn’t been able to achieve something yet, doesn’t mean it is unachievable.
4. Meditation is for wacky people – Yes. Believe it or not, I had massive reservations towards meditation for a very long time. I also refused to do it because I believed it was only for ‘woo woo’ people. You know those people ‘off with the fairies’ I actually laugh at this statement now because of how wrong I was. Meditation has changed my life. As someone that suffered anxiety, depression, and never lived in the present moment, meditation has literally given me a power I never thought possible. Not only has it has taught me to become so in tune with myself and my body, as well as gain control over my emotions, it has allowed me to manifest exactly what I need and want in my life as I need it. I could go on and on about meditation, but for the purpose of this blog, I encourage you to look in to it. It isn’t just for ‘wacky’ people
5. Staying angry and upset at someone or a situation gives me the power – As Rafiki from The Lion King would do, hit me over the head and say ‘nope, wrong again!’ In fact, staying angry and upset at someone or a situation is actually doing the complete opposite to giving you power. It is sapping you of not only your power, but your freedom as well. When we hold on to anger towards another person, we are giving THEM the power and you don’t even realise it. You are keeping yourself literally trapped inside your own little jail cell with four walls. Forgiveness isn’t a sign of weakness. It also doesn’t mean you are condoning what the other person has done. It just means you are setting yourself free. So I encourage you, the next time you are feeling angry, hurt and upset, try freeing yourself by forgiving and letting go and see how that feels instead. This took me a VERY long time to learn. So if I can inspire you to change your mindset around this myth that remaining upset gives you the power, then I have succeeded
6. You CAN’T do what you love to make money, you need to be in a 9-5 job you hate – Ahh since when!? We were not put on this earth to work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, in a job we hate, with people we don’t like, creating someone else’s dream. Call me crazy, but I have a bigger purpose then that, and I am here to fulfil it. I am also not here to do the things that make me unhappy and neither are you. Yet for so long, I believed I couldn’t do what I love, because, well, who am I to do that? Who am I to actually do what I love and change peoples lives in a way only I know how. I am not smart enough or worthy enough. I will never be successful doing that…..What a load of bullocks!
Each and every single one of us has something to teach and offer this world, and it is your job to tap in to that. No one else can do it for you. Don’t be afraid to step in to your area of brilliance and make the difference only you can make, and get rid of the belief right now that you can’t pursue what you love.
Are you diggin’ this post girlfriend? There is plenty more where that came from!
Join my incredible tribe filled with hundreds of amazing women like yourself, and you will receive my ‘Wednesday Wisdom’ post straight to your inbox every week.
Ready for something even more awesome? You will instantly receive my
‘7 Day Guide To More Happiness and Self Love’
for FREE just because I freaking love you!
Share the love…!
Now I want to hear from you! I would love for you to share with me and all of the other amazing women that visit this space every day, what crappy beliefs are you holding on to? Did any of these resonate with you? If you feel someone else needs to hear this today, then please share away! And as always, thank you so much for being in this space with me, sharing so wholeheartedly.
Do you live in Sydney? Would you like to spend an intimate evening with me and connect/make friendships with other amazing women like yourself? Enjoy a meditation, herbal tea, juicy discussions and have all of your most pressing questions answered? Then this evening is for you.
Click HERE to reserve your spot for $20!
Spaces limited to 20 people!